Showing Movies on Campus

Movie copyright and Student Groups

Student groups who wish to show a movie on campus are responsible for acquiring the necessary rights to perform the film in public prior to hosting their event. Any performance in a non-domestic setting needs performance rights, even if the event itself is non-profit and no admission is being charged.

To show a Hollywood type feature-film, an event license can be acquired from either Audio Cine Films or Criterion Pictures. For independent movies, it is best to contact the studio/producer directly as they usually hold the rights and can authorize the performance, or they can redirect the request to the appropriate contact.

Cindy Paul is happy to provide students with information on copyright compliance if they have any questions. Contact
Copyright Officer, U of A Copyright Office, Learning Services, 780-492-0151